Thursday, July 3, 2008

Destination: Ethiopia... and blogging.

Ethiopia is well known for its great rift valley. When I went to see it last summer, I was fairly disinterested as my geology-loving friend, and travel companion, was trying to convice me of its splendor. And actually, it turned out that it was a fascinating sight to see (you were right, Miss Thiesen!). But beyond that, it triggered some deeper introspection... the way natural phenomena often do.

I wondered if this valley was truly the greatest rift Ethiopia has seen. The streets are filled with 6 million orphans, and I saw men sleeping in trash bags and little hands reaching out for food. Women and children wander the streets emaciated, waiting for help. What a chasm there is between this world and the world I come from!

Since then, my mind is constantly seeking ways that God might empower us to cross over that great rift to meet a few physical needs, and show people a God that promises His way will never let them go hungry again. I can't help but feel the great need for God, or think of the abundance He has in store. So, yielding to the wise advice of C.S. Lewis, I'm taking a step of action, with the Lord's leading, and going back to Ethiopia.

I'll be joining in the ministry of my brother, Joey, and his family (Destiny, Mercy, & baby on the way!) They've been living in Addis Ababa for 5 months now... I love hearing the exciting ways that young people are ready to grasp onto someone bigger than their circumstances, and see change in their community. I pray to be an encouragement to my brother's family and the people there. They certainly are an encouragement to me!

I plan to stay through November 15th. I thank all of you who've supported me extensively, particularly financially and in prayer. I look forward to updating you all once I'm there and settled (Wednesday, July 9th). Exabir emusken ('Let God be praised!'... in Amharic)!

11 comments:

Doulos said...

Hey Jackie,
Good to see you fulfill this calling that God has lead you to. I am praying for you and looking forward to reading about all that God is doing in and through you while you are over there.

Unknown said...

hey jackie!!! i didnt know you were going to ethiopia. well i hope you do what you want to there and i wish you the best of luck! ill pray for you!!! <3

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie!
I am so proud of you for doing this. You are truely a GREAT role model. B) I am going to miss u sooo very much but i know that the people in Ethiopia need you more than we do at New Cov. I love you in a friendly way!
~Talia L.

PS: I will pray for u! Good luck and may God bless! =)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jackie,
I am soo happy for u but then i am sad at the same time. If only u could be in 2 places at once. I miss u soo much. but they need u more. I'll be praying 4 u!!! Lv Ya tons!!!

Jess said...

Yay! I'm really going to be looking forward to reading your posts each week or so, I'm so happy for you right now! :)

Ashley said...

JACK's!!! I look forward to hearing about all the friends I have there and how they are doing! I miss them LOTS!
...and be on the look out for 'out-crops'!!! =)
always,
Ashley

Kayla said...

Bless you my friend...your enthusiasm and passion for the Lord inspire me!! Maddy and I will pray for you nightly!
Blessings, Kayla

Flying with Enoch (Jesse Caron) said...

I'm going to need more updates then this I'm afraid.

Unknown said...

Are you super pumped or what

Anonymous said...

Jax - no new update - im really outta the loop - HTe Lord is with you, He is your shelter and strength, a strong tower and refuge - Abide in Him - May He bless you and keep you and give you strength, wisdom, and His bread daily
love you jax - Erik

Jess said...

Heyyy I don't know if you noticed but you left over a month ago! I'm going crazy here, give us something to read! ;)